|Buffalo Chicken Wing Cupcake (Photo: CupcakeProject.com)|
My Cupcake Abuse post has gotten alot of feedback on Twitter, Facebook and the blog itself (to see more examples of cupcake abuse, visit my Facebook page). Overall though it was the buffalo chicken wing cupcake with blue cheese dressing that seemed to be the most rousing. My guess is that Americans hold both chicken and cupcakes in such high regard that, to combine the two, would be sacrilege!
The creator of the infamous chicken wing cupcake is a fellow Stephanie (although hers is spelled with an 'F' but I won't hold it against her ;-) and her blog is called the Cupcake Project. In all fairness, the cupcakes were made for the Superbowl-another American pass time- and combining those two ingredients is really clever (note that hot sauce is one of the first ingredients). All in all I think that the recipe speaks for itself. Enjoy!
Buffalo Chicken Cupcake Recipe
Yield: 10 cupcakes
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (I recommend a hot sauce that is typically used for Buffalo chicken. Frank's is the classic choice. I used Bella's Medium Wing Sauce.)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized saucepan on medium-high heat, heat hot sauce and butter until butter is melted.
- Add the blue cheese and mix periodically until blue cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and mix in the sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and egg.
- Once the hot sauce mixture is cool enough to touch, mix the sour cream mixture into the hot sauce mixture.
- In another small bowl, mix together the flour and baking soda.
- Fold the flour mixture into the hot sauce mixture.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Mix blue cheese on high speed until smooth.
- Add the unsalted butter and mix on high speed until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Slowly mix in the powdered sugar until fully combined.
- Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.
Original Recipe can be found here:http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2012/01/buffalo-chicken-super-bowl-cupcakes.html#ixzz1vEzJZbrc